I don’t wish to jinx myself but the build is continuing to progress well. This week we reached a milestone with the kitchen going in. The units were delivered at the end of Friday and we went from this:
Warning: photo overload coming up 🙂
[extra cupboards accessible from Leisure area]
[Oven housing for two single ovens & fridge space]
Then last but not least the Butler’s Pantry which made my SS laugh with its pantry within a pantry:
I did a double take after the delivery when I saw the sheer volume of carcasses but they do say that you can’t have too much storage 🙂
So far so good and I’m really pleased with what I can see.
Our kitchen is by Timpelle with the base cabinetry in satin polyurethane ‘Laminex White’ and the wall cabinets in Laminex ‘Espresso Ligna’ silk.
I looked at an awful lot of show kitchens before finally deciding on this mix. It was a balancing act between cost, practicality and aesthetics. The fact our two sons, ages 21+, will be using the kitchen factored into the equation too.
Whilst sorting things before we move I came across this in one of their treasure boxes.
Well 16 years down the line and I can still find plenty of fingerprints and I don’t need a CSI to dust for them either. They better not turn to a life of crime.
With that in mind I went for easy to wipe surfaces with handles on the lower cabinetry rather than the handle free shark nose edges I quite liked. I have compromised on the wall cabinets and left off the handles but made the doors overhang the carcass so you can finger pull them open from behind. I have also put soft close mechanisms on everything so they can’t crash, bang, wallop around – hopefully. I will keep a stash of microfiber cloths handy too so I can do a quick clean up.
Only one minor worry and that is the height of the wall units. I am – ahem – vertically challenged and took this into account in the design stage. The wall cupboards were dropped as low as they could be in order for me to reach the bottom shelf.
This was driven by the height the gas cooktop has to be from the cooker hood. Australian standards state the cooker hood must be a minimum 650mm from the top of the trivet. So my cupboards came down to right above the window and my cooker hood went up. However the wall cabinets seem to have been installed a few inches above the window which wasn’t how it was on the signed off plans.
My SS is going to check it all out and come back to me on it. I will already be having a step tucked away in the WIP so I can reach things but I would like to manage the bottom shelf by myself 🙂
Once the kitchen is in they can measure up for the stone benchtops and glass splashbacks and fingers crossed they look good together. Hopefully I will get a chance to take the internal measurements of the large drawers and sort out my linings prior to moving. I am going to DIY it by using pegboard and dowelling to secure the plates etc and non slip liners in the others to recreate this:
This is the link for these products but Bunnings here I come!
Next up this week is waterproofing followed by the arrival of the tiler – fingers crossed!